Monday, January 20, 2014

IM A QUALIFIED DRIVER

Test center: BBDC
Warm up: 1.25
Test time: 2.45



Wee I finally did it!! After so long and after spending so much money, I finally passed on my third try!!

With each failure I felt upset and like a loser, but not anymore. To whoever who hasn't passed, I'm not a loser and you're not a loser. It's a matter of time. The wait makes the feeling of passing sweeter. :) Don't ever give up until you pass!

Just some insight I got:
1) select the timeslot around 10-11am or 2-3pm where there are lesser cars.
For my first try I noobly selected the first time slot, not knowing that it was the peak hour. Haha I'll admit that that was a total lack of common sense. And at the u-turn, I did a dangerous lane change (car beside me was going too fast for me to cut in safely) that caused me immediate failure. One of the instructors told me that someone passed without executing the u-turn because road conditions didn't permit it. So remember to confirm safety before lane change!! Don't do it dangerously like me.

2) don't let your nerves get the better of you. 

But that's real hard isn't it. How to not be nervous in a cold waiting room where everyone else is shaking their legs, rushing to the washroom and sighing super loudly haha. Good for people who have low neuroticism. 

For my second try my warm-up instructor scolded me once I switched on the engine because I didn't step on brake pedal. He was like "try one time already still don't know?" But I really didn't know leh, usually the instructors switch on the engine so I didn't take note. =.= I was on to a bad start and it didn't help that the tester's face was completely black. And I immediately struck the kerb when I exited s course. Following which I struck again at the parallel parking. Which costed me 20 point. =.= but another instructor says DONT GIVE UP even if you made any "fatal" mistakes. If overall you prove to be a safe and competent driver, especially on the road, he might overlook small mistakes!

Remember to do each of the stages real slowly and breathe! Don't let your nervousness impair your judgement.

3) don't be afraid of the tester. I've realized that most of them have this super stern and intimidating look, but just try to focus on driving. 

4) be determined. I was fortunate enough to meet an instructor during my revision who immediately knew I wasn't confident in my driving abilities. Haih, traumatized twice already. He spent like 20min (hog parallel parking lot haha) to tell me how I was sabotaging myself with my lack of confidence. "Don't try, just do," he said. 

Conditions were great too! Good weather conditions (bright and sunny), nice warm up instructor who told me repeatedly to calm down and nice tester.

Of course, praying a lot helped me too. My parents were anxiously praying for me at home too.

“Let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.” Romans 12:2a (NLT)

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Thank you God, you brought me through another hurdle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment